Charlotte, NC - The JWU Men's Basketball Team took on EMAC rival Warren Wilson College on Wednesday. The USCAA D2 #1 Wildcats celebrated their senior class by dispatching the Owls 108-65.
- JWU led the game wire-to-wire with their largest lead reaching 50 points.
- The Wildcats shot 53% while holding the Owls to 34%.
- JWU went 15 of 40 from three while holding Warren Wilson to 7 of 28.
- Johnson & Wales had a dominating performance on the glass, outrebounding the visitors 54-30.
- JWU's 15-6 advantage in offensive rebounds led to a 18-4 second chance points difference.
- The Wildcats also boasted a 50-26 gap with points in the paint.
- The Wildcats won despite losing the battles in rebounding (49-46), turnovers (22-15), points off turnovers (21-8), second chance points (23-8), and points in the paint (46-38).
- JWU's defense came up big, holding CC to 33% from the field.
- The offensive key to victory for the Wildcats was their ball movement, collecting 16 assists on 31 field goals compared to 5 on 29 for CC. This helped the team shoot 45% from the field.
- Robert Hobson had 30 points, 9 rebounds, 5 steals, and 4 assists. It was Hobson's fourth 30 point performance this season.
- Antonio Smith set a new career high with 24 points, and also added 13 rebounds and 4 blocks. His 32 blocks on the season ties the school record.
- Majerle Poole collected his third double-double with 23 points and 13 rebounds. He also added 5 assists and 3 steals.
- JWU is now 20-3 on the season and 6-0 in conference competition.
From The Coach:
"Glad our seniors got to go out with a big win. We have really emphasized sacrificing for one another all season long and seeing how emphatic our younger guys were in supporting their senior class was tremendous," reflected JWU Head Coach Dan Larkin. "We will certainly miss Antonio, Rob, Malik and Majerle and we will continue to fight to finish off this season the right way for them."
The Wildcats will play at The Apprentice School on Saturday, February 15th at 4:00 pm.