Newport News, VA - The USCAA D2#1 ranked JWU Men's Basketball Team took on Apprentice School, ranked #7 in USCAA D1, on Saturday. The Wildcats claimed the road 96-90.
- After going up by 22 points with 15 minutes to play in the game, the Builders would outscore the Wildcats 37-14 over the next ten minutes to take the lead.
- Majerle Poole gave the Wildcats the 85-84 edge with four minutes to go and JWU would lead from there.
- JWU shot 45% and held TAS to 38%.
- The Wildcats shot 14 of 36 from three, compared to 4 of 20 for the Builders.
- JWU outrebounded Apprentice 54-46.
- Despite losing the turnover battle 18-13, JWU was clinical in turning the Builders' turnovers into baskets. They outscored TAS 24 to 15 in points off turnovers.
- Robert Hobson scored 31 points, including a 7 of 14 effort from three point range.
- Majerle Poole had 18 points and 9 rebounds for JWU.
- Brandon Kostyk knocked down three three-pointers en route to 14 points.
- Antonio Smith had another double-double with his 10 point, 12 rebound performance.
- JWU is now 21-3 on the season and 7-0 in conference competition.
From The Coach:
"Gutsy conference road win. Our guys played great team basketball and defended at an extremely high level for 30 minutes. I have to be better about having our team better prepared in late game situations," reflected JWU Head Coach Dan Larkin. "All the credit to our guys, they made heady plays down the stretch and didn't falter after we dropped the lead, again finding ways to win. Proud of our guys."
The Wildcats will play at Blue Lights College on Tuesday, February 18th at 6:00 pm.