Greenville, SC - The Johnson & Wales University women's basketball team traveled to Bob Jones University on Thursday. After trailing by 10 at the half, the Wildcats mounted a furious comeback, winning the game 79-66.
- The game featured 11 lead changes and 4 ties.
- JWU trailed by as many as 15 and was down 39-29 at halftime before outscoring BJU 50-27 in the second half.
- The game was tied at 48 going into the fourth quarter, but the Wildcats outscored their opponents 31-18 in the fourth.
- JWU shot 47% from the field and held Bob Jones to 38%, including holding BJU to 26% three-point shooting.
- The Wildcats had a big advantage at the free throw line, connecting on 15-21 while the Bruins went 4-6.
- The Wildcats out-rebounded Bob Jones, 39-31
- Hankerson's performance included 27 points, 15 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 blocks.
- Chase Muhammad had 14 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 blocks.
- Jada Morgan posted a season high of 16 points and led all players with 6 assists.
- Shannon Martin connected on three of her four three-point attempts, a key piece to the second half surge.
- Fourth ranked JWU moves to 12-7 on the season.
From The Coach:
"What an unbelievable performance tonight by our team. I didn't think we played that poorly in the first half, but we just weren't playing as together as we needed to. We were helping a little bit too much defensively. On offense we were being a little impatient," commented Interim Head Coach Aram Parunak After the win. "In the second half we combined patience with our aggressiveness and were really good on both ends. I can't say enough about the resilience of our team. When they are locked in, they are really fun to watch."
The women's basketball team will host Toccoa Falls College for JWU's third annual Play4Kay game on Feb. 9th. The contest will tip-off at 3:00 pm. Attendees are encouraged to wear pink to honor the many women who have fought cancer. Donations to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund will be accepted at the game. To donate electronically, please visit our team fundraising page: https://support.kayyow.com/jwuwbb