Knoxville, TN - The JWU women's basketball team took their four game winning streak on the road against Johnson University (TN) on Monday. The Wildcats saw their streak snapped in Double OT, 89-85.
- The game featured 6 lead changes and 9 ties.
- With 55 seconds remaining in regulation, Ineesha Hankerson put the Wildcats up by 2 points. The Royals' Lori St. John responded with a basket of her own to tie the game with 39 seconds left.
- The Wildcats led by 2 with 35 seconds to go in the first OT before Johnson again tied it up to force a second OT.
- Chase Muhammad put JWU up by 1 with 1:00 left in the second OT, but Johnson closed the contest on a 7-2 run to earn the win.
- Lori St. John scored 37 points for the Royals, including 13-14 from the free throw line.
- JWU shot an impressive 15-18 from the free throw line, but the Royals were clinical from the stripe, going 22-23.
- Johnson (7-15) shot 38.9% from three, giving them a 9 point advantage in three-pointers.
- The Wildcats out-rebounded JU, 46-36.
- The Wildcat bench outscored the Royals bench, 46-2.
- Muhammad led JWU with 27 points and 4 steals. She connected on 3-4 from the three point line.
- Hankerson tallied 24 points and 10 rebounds.
- Bianca Covington led the team with 11 rebounds and 5 assists.
- Fourth ranked JWU moves to 13-8 on the season.
From The Coach:
Interim Head Coach Aram Parunak on the loss: "It's been a tough stretch, and I think it caught up with us tonight. We had multiple opportunities to make plays, and we didn't get it done. I was out coached, and they were better than we were tonight. I hope we will learn from this as we move forward."
The women's basketball team will celebrate "Senior Night" as they host Virginia University of Lynchburg on Feb. 19th for a 6:00 pm tip-off. Senior Bianca Covington will be recognized for her impact on the JWU women's basketball program.