Charlotte, NC- The JWU women's basketball team hosted Virginia University of Lynchburg on Tuesday night. The Wildcats celebrated their lone senior, Bianca Covington, with the 67-46 victory thanks to some stifling defense.
- JWU led for most of the game, and the final 21 point advantage equaled their largest lead of the game.
- Johnson & Wales held the Dragons to 27.5% shooting and forced 24 turnovers.
- The Wildcats out-rebounded VUL 46-31 and scored 15 second chance points compared to 3 for the Dragons.
- JWU held the advantage on points-in-the-paint 30-14.
- The Wildcat bench outscored the Dragons' bench 35-13.
- Chase Muhammad led JWU with 23 points and 4 steals. She also snagged 7 rebounds.
- Ineesha Hankerson added 12 points for JWU while also grabbing 9 rebounds.
- Jada Morgan led the Wildcats with 10 rebounds and chipped in 10 points.
- On her Senior Day, Covington put up 10 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 steals for the Wildcats. She went 6-6 from the FT line.
- Fourth ranked JWU finished the regular season with a 14-8 record.
From The Coach:
"What a great way to honor Bianca on senior night. That was a good team that we played tonight, but we really locked in defensively and made them work every possession," commented Interim Head Coach Aram Parunak on the win. "It's almost like everyone said, 'let's play defense for Bianca because she is always playing defense for us.' We are excited about the inaugural conference tourney on Friday. We look forward to everyone's continued support."
The women's basketball team enters the EMAC conference tournament as the #3 seed and will take on #2 Warren Wilson on Friday, Feb. 22nd. That game is slated for a 2:30 pm tip-off.