Charlotte, NC - Johnson & Wales Charlotte Women's Soccer Coach Matt Hisler is pleased to introduce Maira Teruel-Palma as the newest member of the 2019 signing class. The midfielder is a four-year varsity letter winner for North Johnston High School in soccer, tennis, and track. While representing the North Johnston soccer team, she was recognized as an all-region player three of her four years. In addition to her soccer awards, she was also recognized as the women's tennis team's MVP her junior year, and earned all-region and the Coach's Award her senior year. She was also the recipient of the Athletic Student Sportsmanship Award her junior year.
The Kenly, NC native is the daughter of Glenys Teruel and Hada Palma and plans to major in Culinary Arts & Food Service Management. Maira was a member of the National Honor Society her junior and senior year.
"It's close to home, the Culinary Arts program, and it is located in the heart of the Queen City," responded Maira when asked why she chose JWU Charlotte. "I can't wait to see what JWU has in store for me. I'm happy to say that my soccer career hasn't ended just yet, because deep down I feel that I have more to show on the field. I'm very grateful for this opportunity."
"We are excited to welcome Maira into our family at JWU Women's Soccer. She is a great fit for our team dynamics and our philosophy of pursuing excellence," commented Coach Hisler. "Maira is a driven young women that is fearless and passionate in pursuing her goals. As a midfielder, she is highly aware and quick to assimilate to new ideas. Her movement off of the ball and willingness to cover for her teammates will serve as great compliments to our style of play."
Maira also invested herself in her local community serving in various roles within the AFJROTC and other clubs. Some of Maira's ROTC and leadership accolades include:
- AFJROTC Military Order of World Award with Merit Medal
- AFJROTC Veterans of Foreign Wars Medal
- AFJROTC American Legion General Military Excellence Award Medal
- AFJROTC Unit NC- 200613 Cadet of the Year
- Spartanburg, South Carolina Converse Leadership School
- Medal, Trophy, and Ribbon - Outstanding Flight Cadre
- Medal, Trophy, and Ribbon - Squadron Cadre Leadership Award
- National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution
- DAR ROTC Bronze Medal
- DAR Good Citizen of North Johnston High School.